One more selection from 100-year ols newspapers, taken from Starosti.ru.
Zagreb, 25 September
A deputation of Bosnian christians and muslims leaves to Constantinople to attend the opening of the first Turkish parliament. In Constantinople they will hand in a memorandum demanding to return Bosnia and Herzegovina under the governance of the Ottoman empire.
Berlin, 25 September
The central committee of social-democrats issued a proclamation to the proletariat of Northern and Southern Germany, inviting them to join the protests against the financial reform that would raise the taxes by 43%. As opposed to these protests, the government plans to run a number of public meetings, where the ministers will defend the reform.
Syzran, 25 September
Today, the 7th Revel infantry regiment and 1st reserve cavalry regiment with two choirs met the troop train with the German soldiers returning from China via Russia. The officers and soldiers were offered a breakfast in the barracks of the cavalry regiment, decorated with German and Russian flags.
Tula, 25 September
Peasants of the village Stroyki opposed the sale of their property on the order of the court after they lost the case against their landlady Glaznova. The agitated crowd killed Glaznova and seriously wounded police officer Ostrikov. The public prosecutor and the governor started to Stroyki with the Cossacks.
Golos Moskvy (Voice of Moscow)
Some new wall clocks powered by electricity were installed in the central building of the Moscow telegraph. They are extremely precise and checked every day by telegraph from the Pulkovo observatory. Similar clock will be installed above the main entry, instead of the mechanical one.
100th anniversary of the Russian veterinarians
100 years ago the proposal of the minister of home affairs to establish a college of "animal medicine" in St.Petersburg received the Highest approval. It was the first Russian law where the word "veterinary" was used. It was on 31 December 1807.
In the next year, 1808, the college was founded. Until then, there were no veterinarians in Russia. In cases of diseases the people referred to sorcerers or just prayed. The tsar Alexey Mikhailovich ordered to separate the ill cattle from the healthy and it was the first step taken by the government to prevent epizooties. Peter I, who waged incessant wars with Swedes, Persians, Turks, understood the necessity of veterinarians for the cavalry. In 1713 he ordered to teach a group of people the art of veterinary. But they only worked for the army, while the other animals were treated by charlatans.
The decrees of the Senate demonstrate the low state of veterinary in the times of empress Elizabeth. The ill animals freely roamed the streets of St.Petersburg and died there. Rotting corpses infested the air and clouds of flies carried the infection all over the city. The infested meat was often sold. So, the Senate ordered that the police dispose of the dead animals by burying them in holes covered with lime outside the city. The job was performed by arrested criminals. Another order of the Senate instituted the permanent control over the quality of meat in slaughterhouses and markets. However, these measures were insufficient. There were no veterinarians.
In 1808, the minister of home affairs prince A. B. Kurakin organized the veterinary school in the St.Petersburg medical academy. In the first year, 720 students entered the college. Because of the large number of students, another college was established in Moscow. Four years later, the first veterinarians graduated.
So, now we celebrate the 100th anniversary of both these veterinary colleges, the first in Russia. Since then, new veterinary institutes were established in Kharkov, Kazan, Warsaw and Yuryev.
Well known Russian inventor Tatarinov signed a contract in London with the company William Holder and sons. The British company bought the right to manufacture in Britain the pistonless hydraulic press invented by Tatarinov. A new company was founded with the capital of one million rubles.